cheaphotelbloodymary: Music pt. 1

Friday, April 14, 2006

Music pt. 1


What a generic title, but I have been thinking alot lately about how I hear music. What I mean is how does it come across in your head. It has always been weird to me how I can think a certain thing is dope, but when I play it for others they just don't get it. I could give two shits about hooks, while a catchy melody that gets stuck in your head can be good, its all superficial.
Is there meaning behind it? Is there soul, and raw emotion pouring out? That is what matters to me is the feel of a song, and to some degree the raw sound. I love songs that transport you almost cinematically to a place and time that normally you wouldn't go. Take for example, (given my current Wu-Tang fascination) Raekwon's Only Built for Cuban Linx..., when you listen to that, you feel the crackgame. From the sadness and guilt of selling poison, to the easy money, and ultimately, how does some thing like that affect your soul? How is it to sell your soul for a dollar? How do you get in that position? That album is deep, and it takes many listens for it all to come out. I have been bumping it for 10 years, and am still pulling nuggets out. Its like a book, and a movie rolled into one.

View My Stats