cheaphotelbloodymary: it is back....

Monday, May 28, 2007

it is back....


Well, after an extended hiatus due to computer issues, cheaphotelbloodymary is back to fuck up your shit for the '07. Shit has been good in some ways, but bad in others I guess, in a Dickens kind of way. I got a boy on the way (Cash Black, is that not the most gangster name ever?), still slaving in the coffee world, my wife got a new job, and my daughter graduated preschool last week. Enough though of the boring, personal life shit...


My favorite posts before were always the "What I'm Diggin" ones, so here we go....



Books:


Miles: The Autobiography


Excellent, Miles Davis is a personal hero of mine, and he went through some crazy shit, another plus the book is wholly written in his voice. So its like he is telling you his whole life, from drugs, to women, to the music, it is uncomparable. Also, I think this book has the most use of the word "motherfucker" by far.


The Naked and the Dead


Norman Mailer's first novel about an army unit during World War II, not your typical war novel, there is hardly any combat, it is basically a multiple character study. I like how he goes back in time with each character and gives you some of their history.



Flicks:


Pan's Labyrinth


Dope imagery, an amalgam of horror, fantasy, and period war drama where the protagonist is a little girl. Good shit.


Emanuelle in America


That good old sleazy 70's Italian shit, Laura Gemser, and hardcore inserts with the ugliest people imaginable. Its worth it alone for the soundtrack. Disco funk grooves with lots of flute action.


Beats:


El-P: I'll Sleep when You're Dead


Half of it is mindblowing, the other half kind of ho-hum. But the good half is groundbreakingingly good, The first track is the best.


Eric B. and Rakim


Like 2 months ago, I picked up their greatest hits. Timeless NYC hiphop. Rakim quite possibly is the best mc ever. "Microphone Fiend" is my shit. I don't really need to say anything about this, because anyone who is down knows.


Misfits/Danzig


The bug bit me again, word. Let it bite you.


Type O Negative: Bloody Kisses


An oldie fromm the golden year that was 1993, Gothed out, simple heavy riffs, and a cover of "Summer Breeze" It makes me want to paint my fingernails black.








View My Stats