cheaphotelbloodymary: Ice Cube

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Ice Cube


For some odd reason, the past month or so I have gotten really into late 80's/early 90's West Coast hiphop. I always dug Straight Outta Compton, but I have even been diggin on shit I hated when it was out. The Chronic, Doggystyle, Too $hort, but mostly vintage Ice Cube. Ice Cube from 1987-1994 was some of hardest shit out at the time. From the tongue in cheek nihilistic/mysogynist in NWA to the almost punk rock politicism on his first 3 solo joints, our man Oshea had it. You can hear the anger, immediacy, and power in the his voice, and he was always a good lyricist. Its amazing how much hiphop has changed in 15 years, while some shit he says is cringeworthy, its his "I don't give a fuck" attitude that overpowers all of that. Straight up the shit is like if Minor Threat had grown up on P-funk, 8-Ball, and Dickies. That angry energy of punk rock is there. I think a little reverse racism is just as bad as creating something as stupid as sXe.
You know what else hiphop doesn't sound like this anymore at all, mainstream or underground. At the time Death Certificate was released, it was double platinum in two months. But it was also revolutionary to own something so politically charged. That shit never happens anymore. Nowdays, people think the Black Eyed Peas are groundbreaking.

View My Stats